| Precious Plastic|
Release status: beta [box doku]
|Description||DIY Plastic Recycling|
|Author(s)||David, Katharina, Severin|
Precious Plastic is a project for DIY plastic recycling. David and Severin have started been building a plastic recycling workshop in our lab, and here you can find a bunch of information on it. More about the worldwide project on their website.
You think this idea is super awesome? You can be a part of it! Here's how:
The easiest way to help out is to collect plastic. Most of us still use a lot of single use plastic at home. Let's put it to some good use.
The Elevator Pitch
Collect these three things:
- Joghurt Cups (also Cream, Custard, .., these plastic things with usually a foil lid on top)
- Shampoo Bottles
- Cream Cheese Containers
Make sure they're clean (you can usually simply throw them in the dishwasher alongside your other dishes), and bring them to our workshop for shredding and recycling.
Get others to collect plastic
- Ask your local Döner place or other restaurant about what they do with plastics. They usually get some of their ingredients in big plastic buckets.
- Get your neighbors involved
Gather Tools and Machine parts
We still need a few things for our workshop. If you or someone you know might have access to any of this, and could donate it to us, that would be amazing. Here's our current list:
- Motor for the extrusion machine
- Replacement motor for the shredder
- Electric iron (no need for steam or anything like that)
- T-Shirt Press
- VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) for the extrusion motor
Join our Meetup & our Workshop
We have started our monthly meetup series. Check the Meetup page for the next date.
Building these machines and keeping them running costs time and money. So does getting them to events and shows. You can send us a donation via PayPal by mentioning Precious Plastic in the message.
You can find us on:
We are working on sending out some updates on what we do once or twice a month. You can signup here
Within the Team
- Slack Channel #preciousplastic in MunichMakerLab Slack
- Mailinglist email@example.com
What are our plans for the (very) near future?
- Finish our injection molding machine
- Make some molds and inject some cool parts
- Get a mold for the compression machine
- Have a booth at Make Munich 2019 and show some stuff to the world
- Get our own workshop
We're collecting different types of plastic in labeled black boxes ( + one box for the stuff we're not sure about). Everything should be clean before it gets into the boxes!
- Acrylic is really hard to recycle apparently, so we're not collecting that
- Sorting through the plastics recycling bin helps us reduce the amount of plastic trash
- Dumpster diving on the KQ?